Friday, June 03, 2016

Monthly News Letter

 

 

JUNE 2016

 

 

Dear Fellow Believer in Christ:

Greetings in the name of our Lord! 
We pray that you are in good health and that God is with you daily! 

 Proverbs 3:11-12 My son, do not despise the LORD's discipline
and do not resent his rebuke, because the LORD disciplines those he loves,
as a father the son he delights in. (NIV)

 

 

 

Fathers

Sunday, June 19 is Father's Day

 

 I am so proud of my Dad that I want to share 

my special memories about him.

 

My preacher brother, Floyd and I were born during the depression. Floyd was born in 1927 and I in June of 29. During Floyd's time, my Dad worked for the WPA putting up bridges. 

(The Works Progress Administration (renamed in 1939 as the Work Projects Administration; WPA was the largest and most ambitious American New Deal agency, employing millions of unemployed people (mostly unskilled men) to carry out public works projects, including the construction of public buildings and roads) 

The depression was very difficult and many people lived in poverty.

 My parents were so poor that they lived in a tent. In the winter, Dad was so smart - he would put snow all around the tent till he covered it and it looked like an Igloo.  It helped to keep them warmer.

The government paid my Dad the wages of 50 cents a day. 

 

I was born on a farm in Rake, Iowa  where my Dad worked as a farm hand. My Mom told me on the morning of my arrival, the doctor arrived to help.  My Aunt Delphia, took my brother Floyd out behind the barn and prayed because she could not handle my mom's crying and the doctor spanking me to get me to  breathe. The birth was difficult and the doctor got tired and left before I started breathing. Fortunately, my aunt was still praying and crying and when she heard my war hoop, screaming, she shouted, "Praise the Lord, He is alive!"

 

Later, when I was about 5 years of age, my Dad was a trucker for Mussers Poultry Plant and he would let me ride with him. I was so small that I could stand up right in the seat next to him. It was so exciting to go around all the curves on the road to Jonesboro. I remember one time in Des Moines, Iowa, as we went down a very steep grade, the truck brakes went out!  I was so proud, how he handled everything so well and no one was hurt. 

 

My Dad  was a mechanic most of his life. When I was in high school, I asked my dad, "Why are you a manager for these garages when you could work in your own garage and get all the money?" Later, he went on his own and was his own mechanic until in his mid-80.'s. 

 

Although my dad was a member of a religious church, he did not ask Jesus to be his Lord and Savior until in his 40's. When he gave his life 100% to Jesus, he became a changed man!  He loved to go to a little independent church that later became Wells Assemblies of God Church.

 

After I came down with polio and was in Sister Kenny Institute for 5 ½ months, my dad came to Minneapolis to take me home. About half way home in Wells  he said,  "Billy we need to stop for gas and what would you like to eat?" I had not had ice cream for over five months, and answered - "could I have a chocolate malt?" We went into a drug store and I acted like it was the first one I ever had. As far as I remember, it may have been - it was so good!

 

When I got to walk better, my dad bought my first car. Even though I could not walk without polio crutches, I could drive. The car cost my dad $100 and years later I paid him back - all of it.

 

In our 65 + years married to Bonnie Lou we have pastored 7 churches, the last two of them were here in Hawaii. I still remember that Mom and Dad came to visit us while we were on Kauai. Dad went with me to every meeting. One of the preachers commented " Is he your shadow?" I said yes, and I am so proud to have him with me, and I love him, he's my DAD."

 

My dad lived to a month and a half short of a hundred years old

 and he was a great man of God.  I cherish my memories of my dear Dad.

 

What about you giving your life over to Jesus like my dad did?

Your Heavenly Father has so much love for you!



Pastor Bill Ashpole

 

ashpolebam.org

ashpolebam@gmail.com

 

 

 

 

 

Feeding the spirit, feeding the body ~ Enjoy  this month's recipe:

For your Father's Day barbecue! 

 

BLUE CHEESE BURGERS

 

Ingredients

  • 3 pounds lean ground beef
  • 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
  • 1/2 cup minced fresh chives
  • 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 12 French rolls or hamburger buns

Directions

1.   In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, blue cheese, chives, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, salt, and mustard. Cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours.

2.   Preheat grill for high heat. Gently form the burger mixture into about 12 patties.

3.   Oil the grill grate. Grill patties 5 minutes per side, or until well done. Serve on rolls.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/24685/blue-cheese-burgers/print/?recipeType=Recipe&servings=12

 

We welcome your comments or requests for prayer.  May God continue to lead you and bless you!  If you feel led to support our ministry, send your check to the address below.

Sincerely,

 

William Ashpole

Bill Ashpole Ministries
57 Ilima St, Wahiawa, Hawaii 96786

 

Bill Ashpole Ministries | ashpolebam@gmail.com | ashpolebam.org

 

 

Stay Connected

 

 


Copyright © 2016. All Rights Reserved.

 

Bill Ashpole Ministries, 57 Ilima Street, Wahiawa, HI 96786

 

 

Sent by ashpolebam@gmail.com in collaboration with

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home